I’ve been working on music videos for almost two years now, and am starting to feel like I have a grasp on this industry. There’s still so much yet to learn, and I’m excited to do more and learn more in the months (years?) ahead.
I’m one of the few that LOVES working on music videos. Most people would rather be on a commercial shoot, or obviously a feature film shoot, but to me – music videos are where it’s at. Maybe I’m crazy for enjoying the torture of long, grueling 15 hour days.
All that said, I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorite music videos. There’s no rhyme or reason to this.
- The Killers – Mr. Brightside.
Sophie Mueller did this one, and it’s amazing. Evidently it’s an homage to Moulin Rouge. I shudder to think how much they spent on art direction and stylists alone.
- All-American Rejects – Move Along.
- Adam Gregory – Crazy Days. This is a Wes Edwards video, and it’s great. It’s more of a rock video than country, and that might be why it was so underplayed and unrecognized.
- The Elms – Hey, Hey. This is genius in it’s simplicity. I remember loving this when it first came out, and as it would turn out, Revolution did this video for $10k. Weaver did this years ago and it made me one of his biggest fans. I still gush to him about it almost every time I see him.
- Coldplay – The Scientist. Let’s shoot an entire video forwards and then play it backwards.
- Switchfoot – You Already Take Me There. This video is what turned me into a Switchfoot fanatic, which I guess could serve as proof that music videos can have an impact on people. For years the guys wouldn’t tell whether or not it’s actually them sky diving, and I still don’t know the truth, if anyone actually went skydiving, etc.
- Lee Ann Rimes – Nothin’ Better to Do. David McClister’s finest.
- Carrie Underwood – So Small. I’m not a big country music fan, but this song is amazing, and I think the video compliments the song immensely.
- Michael Jackson – Thriller. I saw this on Pop Up video a couple weeks ago. It had the budget of a million dollars ! – and it is so long it has credits at the end. And I’ve love to learn the dance someday.